Instructor: Ustadh Farid Dingle
Cover a word-by-word explanation of the Arabic of the Qasida al-Burda, a much-celebrated poem written in praise of the Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace).
The text will be explained from a grammatical, morphological, rhetorical, and prosodical point of view, and the historical and religious references will also be unpacked.
As an introduction to Arabic poetry, the course also introduces the concept of poetic metre. This is extremely important for the Arabist and Talib ilm as most of the literature that is used to explain the Quran and Sunna are in poem form.
The Burda has been chosen as a case study because it is one of the most common metres of Arabic poetry (al-basit), it demonstrates common rhetorical devices, and has a deeply spiritual and religious theme.
Lesson 1: The Original Burda; Poetic Metre
Lesson 2: Style and rhetoric in the Burda
Lesson 3: Chapter 1: On Yearning
Lesson 4: Chapter 2: On Warnings about the Caprices of the Self
Lesson 5: Chapter 3: On the Praise of the Prophet
Lesson 6: Chapter 4: On His Birth
Lesson 7: Chapter 5: On His Miracles
Lesson 8: Chapter 6: On the Exalted Stature and Miraculous Merits of the Qur’an
Lesson 9: Chapter 7: On the Ascension of the Prophet
Lesson 10: Chapter 8: On the Struggle of Allah’s Messenger
Lesson 11: Chapter 9: On Seeking Intercession through the Prophet
Lesson 12: Chapter 10: On Intimate Discourse and the Petition of One’s State.
• What poetic is
• What poetic styles influences Imam al-Busiri’s Burda
• How the poem translates line by line
About the Course Text
The poem is celebrated praise of the Prophet in poem form.
About The Instructor
Shaykh Farid Dingle has completed extensive years of study in the sciences of the Arabic language and the various Islamic Sciences. During his studies, he also earned a CIFE Certificate in Islamic Finance. Over the years he has developed a masterful ability to crafts lessons that help non-Arabic speakers gain a deep understanding of the language. He currently teaches courses in the Arabic Language.
- Teacher: Shaykh Farid Dingle
- Distinguish between true religious knowledge that is beneficial and ostensibly religious knowledge that is not
- Identify instances of the sins of the limbs (particularly those of the tongue)
- Identify instances of the sins of the heart
- Complete a regimen of protecting your tongue from sin
- Improve your character with your teachers, relatives, friends, and strangers
- Appreciate the spiritual value of good company