This is a Level Three course in the Islamic Studies Curriculum.
This is the first in a series of courses covering Imam Nasafi's Kanz al-Daqa‘iq, one of the four main primers of the Hanafi school. The Kanz gathers issues from several of the key works of the school and summarizes its issues.
The purpose of this class is to consolidate previous foundations on the subject and to introduce the student to the method of the Hanafis while deepening the students’ understanding of the reasoning and legal nuances in the rulings of the fiqh of worship, covering the chapters of purity, prayer, fasting, charity, and Hajj.
Allah Most High says, “I have not created jinn-kind nor mankind for any purpose other than to worship Me.” (Quran, 51:56). It’s important for all Muslims to know and understand the rulings of prayer, fasting, almsgiving, and pilgrimage. This is after all that we engage in most regularly, this is what we are called to as Muslims. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said; “The first thing the servant will be asked about on the Day of Judgement is his prayer.”
In order to successfully complete this course, students should first complete Quduri's Mukhtasar: On Worship (Purification, Prayer, Fasting, Zakat, and Hajj) or Mawsili's Mukhtar: On Worship: Understanding Purification, Prayer, Fasting, Zakat, and Hajj before taking this course.
- Teacher: Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
This course is based on Imam Abu Barakat al-Nasafi's Kanz al-Daqa’iq, referred to by many as the greatest of the summary works (Mukhtasarat) in the Hanafi school. This work is very precise, nuanced, terse, yet very comprehensive.
The Kanz is a summary of another of the author's works, the Wafi, an advanced text in the Hanafi school. The Kanz can be difficult to understand and grasp at times, this highlights the importance of a study of another primer prior to the study of the Kanz.
The Kanz has many commentaries and super commentaries, one that will be referenced in this class is the commentary of Munla Miskin with the super commentary of Abu al-Sa’ud Sayyid al-Sharif al-Misry.
- This course is for adults.
- It is particularly beneficial for students of Islamic Law.
- It is a Level Three course. In order to successfully complete this course, students should take the course Quduri's Mukhtasar: On Worship (Purification, Prayer, Fasting, Zakat, and Hajj) or Mawsili's Mukhtar: On Worship: Understanding Purification, Prayer, Fasting, Zakat, and Hajj.
- Read more nuanced and terse works in the science of Islamic Law.
- Understand the rulings related to worship at an intermediate level.
- Gain a deeper appreciation of legal reasoning in deriving rulings.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the legal details, nuances, and the method of the Hanafi school.
- Gain comfort in using the large reference works of the school.