In this course, the student will study the Risala al-Khushu`iyya of Imam Abu Sa`id al-Khadimi, a treatise that provides a holistic look at the prayer as an act of worship centered on presence with, and attachment to, Allah Most High.
“Successful are the believers who in their prayers are humble.” (Quran, 23:2) Humbleness (khushu`) is considered the life of the prayer, which possesses both an inward and outward reality. In his treatise on khushu`, Imam Khadimi, relying on earlier authorities like Imam Ghazali, focuses on the inner and outer dimensions of prayer, their various elements, conditions, and the way one attaches the heart to Allah in the actions one is performing and rids oneself of distractions.
- Teacher: Shaykh Salman Younas
- Learn the inner and outward adab of purification and prayer.
- Understand the higher purpose of prayer and its role in the cultivation of piety and ihsan
- Become better acquainted with the spiritual states of early Muslims and their attitude towards the prayer.
- Learn practical ways to attach one’s heart to Allah in the prayer and safeguard oneself from distractive thoughts.