This is the second course in the Qur’anic Understanding Certificate.
This course looks at some verses that contain key rulings of the Qur’an that are commonly misunderstood or misinterpreted. It demonstrates their coherence and suitability for all times and places.
Many people question the wisdom of the Qur’anic laws due to a disconnect between their life situations and the overarching aims of the Shari’a. In order to see this wisdom, proper contextualization is necessary. This context answers common questions and shows why the shari’a is a viable source of legislation for all times and places. Its laws make sense, are wise, and directed towards the benefit of humanity in this life and the next.
Key issues, such as fasting, interest, divorce, inheritance, sacrifice, and purity are explained and contextualized. This will remove common doubts and misconceptions, provide an insight into how the Shari’a has our benefit in mind, and also provide an insight into the schools of Fiqh and their approaches.
This course is based on a number of authoritative classical and contemporary tafsir works. These include Tafsir Ayat al Ahkam by Shaykh Muhammad Ali Sayis, Shaykh Abdul Latif Subki, and Shaykh Muhammad Ibrahim Karsun; as well as ‘Rawai’ al Bayan, by Dr. Muhammad Ali Sabuni.
- This course is for teenagers and adults.
- It is particularly beneficial for anyone wanting to see the deeper wisdom of the Shari’a, and how it is aimed at the benefit of humanity.
- This course can also be taken by anyone who is interested in seeing how legislative rulings are derived from the Qur’an.
- There are no prerequisites to this course.
- Understand the wisdom of many key verses of legislation in the Qur’an.
- Understand the multi-layered wisdom in the laws of inheritance.
- Explain key aspects of wisdom and balance in the laws of marriage and divorce.
- Understand how different rulings were derived from the same verses.
- Grasp the Qur’anic perspective when it comes to the rules of the Shari’a.
- Conceptualize the difference in the approach of the Qur’an and what humanity without divine guidance would legislate.