Shaykh Abd al Ghani al Maydani’s commentary is one of the best written on the Mukhtasar of Imam Ahmad ibn Muhammad al Quduri. It is the perfect entry point to the more detailed texts of the Hanafi school and is taught as a Level Three SeekersGuidance course.
The author (d. 1298 AH) was a prominent Damascan scholar, and a close student of one of the greatest jurists of the later Hanafi school, Imam Muhammad Amin b. ‘Abidin. The text, al Lubab fi Sharh al Kitab is a commentary and expansion of Quduri’s work that has been praised and taught by scholars all over the Muslim world since it was penned.
The main purpose is to gain a thorough understanding of the text. This will, in turn, give the student a clear grasp of the core legal issues in Hanafi school, an insight into legal reasoning and its application beyond the text, and an introduction to the more detailed works of the school. It is an important connective point between the study of mutun such as the Mukhtasar and Mawsili’s Mukhtar and the more detailed commentaries like al Ikhtiyar.
The course will give a sound understanding of the framework of the Hanafi school. This includes developing the skills needed to answer questions accurately, and a fairly detailed analysis of the key practical legal questions one is faced with.
- Teacher: Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat
Al Lubab Fi Sharh al Kitab (The Essence; a Commentary of the Book), covers the main legal questions answered in the Hanafi school, with additional legal reasoning, explanation of the hierarchy of issues and scholars, and additional rulings.
It is a later work of the school, summarising many positions and discussions presented by scholars over the centuries. Presenting the dominant positions of the school, the text’s lower to a mid-tier level of detail is perfect as an entry point to the more expansive commentaries on Hanafi fiqh.
The text fits in at level three in our curriculum. There are no other commentaries on the text.
- It is a Level Three course. In order to successfully complete this course, students should take all the Level One and Two Hanafi law courses [Absolute Essentials of Islam (Hanafi): Getting Started With Your Belief and Practice, On Worship (Purification, Prayer, Fasting, Zakat, and Hajj): Shurunbulali’s Ascent to Felicity, Quduri's Mukhtasar or their equivalent].
- This course can be taken by anyone who is interested in learning more about Hanafi law at an advanced level.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Memorize the names and positions of important authorities of the school.
- Differentiate between the key legal positions of the Hanafi school.
- Understand the legal reasoning used to arrive at them.