Muslims stand before their Lord five times every day to devote themselves, for a few minutes, to the purpose of their existence: to worship their Lord. This takes its form in the ritual prayer, of which recitation of the Quran is an obligatory element.
Many, however, lose out on fully experiencing the meanings of guidance and admonition which the Speech of Allah conveys. “Allah is who has sent down the fairest of word, a mighty Book, perfect in accord, recurrent in point; The skins of those awed in dread of their Lord shiver thereat, then come to soften in relief, as do their hearts to the remembrance of Allah: That is the guidance of Allah, guiding by it whom He wills” (The Quran Beheld, 39:23).
This course aims to strengthen our connection with Allah’s Book and the live-giving guidance it conveys by shedding light on some of the inexhaustible meanings found in the chapters of the Quran we recite most often in our daily prayers: the Fatiha (1), Ayat al-Kursi (2:255), the final verses of Sura al-Baqara (2:284–6), and the last 12 chapters of the Quran, from Sura al-‘Asr (103) to Sura al-Nas (114).
Drawing on classical commentaries, Shaykh Faraz Rabbani shares valuable insights on the meanings of these verses, as well as offering practical points of reflection on how they should impact our lives.
- Teacher: Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
[While drawn primarily from classical books of tafsir (Quranic exegesis), this course is not based on any particular work.]
This course is for anyone seeking to deepen their connection with the verses of the Quran we recite every day. Apart from the obligatory basics of faith and practice (fard ‘ayn), no previous study is required.
- Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for the Quranic chapters and verses we recite everyday.Explain the importance of the Basmala.
- Understand how Sura al-Fatiha outlines the purpose of our existence, and why it is recited in every prayer. Summarize the explanation of the last twelve suras of the Qur’an.
- Acquire tools for deeper reflection on the meanings of Allah’s Book.
- Benefit from practical insights on how the meanings of the Quran can manifest in our daily lives.
- Appreciate the immense contributions of classical Islamic scholarship in explaining the Quran’s inexhaustible meanings.