Understanding the meanings of the Qur’an is the key to achieving deeper levels of reflection and appreciation of our Lord’s address. With more understanding one can achieve a greater connection to the Qur’an and reverence for it, finding serenity in remembrance of Allah through the recitation of His book, ultimately drawing ever closer to Allah and becoming one of the people of the Qur’an in following the example of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him.
Drawing on classical commentaries, Shaykh Faraz Rabbani illuminates and expands on the meanings of the verses we most often recite in our daily worship, allowing us to bring more life into our worship. He provides an in-depth explanation of the shorter, more commonly recited Suras of the Qur’an: Sura al Fatiha, the last twelve Suras of the Qur’an, as well as Ayat al- Kursi and the last few verses of Sura al-Baqarah. He also provides a detailed explanation of the Basmalah, and what we really mean when we seek refuge from the devil before reciting the Qur’an, as well as its virtues and how to rectify our intention when reciting it.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
• Understand the significance of seeking refuge before reciting the Qur’an.
• Explain the importance of the Basmala.
• Analyze the meanings of the verses of Sura al-Fatiha.
• Summarize the explanation of the last twelve suras of the Qur’an.
• Understand the meanings of the Throne Verse (Ayat al-Kursi).
About The Instructor
Shaykh Faraz Rabbani spent ten years studying with some of the leading scholars of recent times, first in Damascus, and then in Amman, Jordan. His teachers include the foremost theologian of recent times in Damascus, the late Shaykh Adib al-Kallas (may Allah have mercy on him), as well as his student Shaykh Hassan al-Hindi, one of the leading Hanafi fuqaha of the present age. He returned to Canada in 2007, where he founded SeekersGuidance in order to meet the urgent need to spread Islamic knowledge–both online and on the ground–in a reliable, relevant, inspiring, and accessible manner. He is the author of: Absolute Essentials of Islam: Faith, Prayer, and the Path of Salvation According to the Hanafi School (White Thread Press, 2004.) Since 2011, Shaykh Faraz has been named one of the 500 most influential Muslims by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Center.
|Number of Lessons||21|
- Teacher: Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
- Distinguish between true religious knowledge that is beneficial and ostensibly religious knowledge that is not
- Identify instances of the sins of the limbs (particularly those of the tongue)
- Identify instances of the sins of the heart
- Complete a regimen of protecting your tongue from sin
- Improve your character with your teachers, relatives, friends, and strangers
- Appreciate the spiritual value of good company