Instructor: Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
In this course, you will learn the importance of protecting oneself from harmful speech before critically examining sixty cases of religiously harmful or dangerous speech, with practical day-to-day applications and references from the Prophet’s own teaching and practice. The course closes with a discussion on positive speech, as exemplified in the conduct of Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace).
• The importance of holding one’s tongue
• The issues related to sixty key aspects of holding one’s tongue
• Key hadith encouraging restraining one’s tongue
• How to maintain positive speech
About the Course Text
This course is based on the discussion on “The Pitfalls of the Tongue” from al-Tariqa al-Muhammadiyya (The Path of Muhammad) a classic manual of Muslim practice by the famed Ottoman scholar Imam Muhammad al-Birgivi. This sacred legal masterpiece focuses on the method and practice of attaining mindfulness (taqwa) through the application of the Qur’an and Sunna. Critically, this work contains extensive discussions of the destructive qualities of the various limbs -- the heart, tongue, ears, genitals, eyes, and sins associated from the whole body.
About The Instructor
Shaykh Faraz Rabbani spent ten years studying with some of the leading scholars of recent times, first in Damascus, and then in Amman, Jordan. His teachers include the foremost theologian of recent times in Damascus, the late Shaykh Adib al-Kallas (may Allah have mercy on him), as well as his student Shaykh Hassan al-Hindi, one of the leading Hanafi fuqaha of the present age. He returned to Canada in 2007, where he founded SeekersGuidance in order to meet the urgent need to spread Islamic knowledge–both online and on the ground–in a reliable, relevant, inspiring, and accessible manner. He is the author of: Absolute Essentials of Islam: Faith, Prayer, and the Path of Salvation According to the Hanafi School (White Thread Press, 2004.) Since 2011, Shaykh Faraz has been named one of the 500 most influential Muslims by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Center.
|Number of Lessons:||12 Lessons|
|Total Duration:||14 hrs 4 mins|
- Teacher: Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
- Distinguish between true religious knowledge that is beneficial and ostensibly religious knowledge that is not
- Identify instances of the sins of the limbs (particularly those of the tongue)
- Identify instances of the sins of the heart
- Complete a regimen of protecting your tongue from sin
- Improve your character with your teachers, relatives, friends, and strangers
- Appreciate the spiritual value of good company