This is a Level Two course in the Islamic Studies Curriculum. It is based on Imam Haddad’s Book of Assistance.
The Book of Assistance by the great spiritual master Imam Haddad is vital for gaining spiritual and practical guidance that ultimately forms a balanced understanding of life. It connects the outward with the inward, carefully guiding us through various pitfalls and mishaps, so that we may be of those who are protected and guided on the straight path.
The goal of all sacred knowledge is to aid you on your journey of self-improvement as you make your way through this life into the afterlife.
The Book of Assistance succinctly summarizes the stages of this spiritual journey and its most important milestones, such as certainty in the Afterlife, the stages of spiritual development, and presence of heart in acts of worship. Good character with other people, sincerity, gratitude, and love of God are other important topics that are all in the 32 short chapters of this masterpiece of Islamic spirituality.
Attaining a pure heart is the single most important asset that one gains from this abode. By taking this course, students will learn how to purify their hearts. This course will also help students attain nearness to the Divine and to gain gnosis (ma`rifa). It imparts the necessary guidance on how to turn away from this world and turn to Allah completely.
- Teacher: Shaykh Yahya Rhodus
The course is an exposition of The Book of Assistance by the great scholar, saint, and renewer of the twelfth Islamic century, Imam ‘Abdullah b. ‘Alawi al-Haddad (d. 1132AH / 1720 CE). Imam Haddad’s profound mastery of the sacred sciences was condensed into this masterpiece, in which he maps out various acts of devotion and the spiritual path in 32 succinct chapters.
Long considered a summary of Ghazali’s seminal Ihya’ ‘Ulum al-Din, and translated from its original Arabic into Malay, Swahili, and English, this short treatise has been used as a manual of practical spirituality by Muslims all over the world ever since it was written.
- This course is for teenagers and adults.
- It is particularly beneficial for someone who intends to tread the spiritual path.
- It is a Level Two course. In order to successfully complete this course, students should first take the course Living the Sunna, Leaving Sin, and Acquiring Good Character: Ghazali’s Beginning of Guidance.
- This course can also be taken by anyone interested in Islamic Spirituality.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand how to transform everyday acts into worship.
- Learn the key terms of the science of Islamic spirituality.
- Explain what it means to have good character with people.
- Learn how to turn away from this world and focus on Allah Most High.
- Appreciate the depth of the Muslim spiritual tradition.
- Cultivate sincerity in their actions.