Shaykh Faraz begins by covering the Prophetic encouragement for whoever is able to do so to get married. However, he also points out that marriage—while generally praiseworthy—is not obligatory or even always recommended.
Shaykh Faraz highlights that the basis for choosing in marriage is religion: other reasons could be secondary considerations. In addition, he explains that the indicator of faith is a good character, as mentioned by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) in the hadith.
One of the points that Shaykh Faraz greatly emphasizes is the sincerity in marriage. He narrates the hadith of intention, one of the most important hadiths about marriage. Anyone going into marriage should intend to seek Allah’s pleasure and closeness by getting married. All other reasons are means—not an end on their own.
Shaykh Faraz closes by discussing some of the challenges facing those getting married, such as over-complicating weddings. He also warns against conducting private marriages. Finally, Shaykh Faraz provides some key advice, through the prophetic example, of best practices to uphold in a marriage.
- Teacher: Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Learn the virtues of marriage and when to get married.
- Understand key Prophetic guidance related to initiating and upholding marriage.
- Understand how relationships test one’s sincerity and good character.
- Overcome challenges facing those getting married.
- Learn the importance of expressing love within the relationship.