This course involves a comprehensive study of the Qur’an, its themes, messages, rhetorical features and philosophical nuances—all based upon the authoritative tafsirs of our tradition. It sufficiently equips general audiences and students of knowledge
alike with a thorough grasp and firm foundation in Qur’an studies.
Each thirty-minute class covers approximately half a page of the Qur’an, allowing students to follow along and catch up on missed lessons easily. These classes will build upon one another, demonstrating the general themes of each sura and explaining each verse in light of them.
The preservation of the rich tradition of Qur’anic understanding is of utmost importance for Muslims. By completing this course, students will take part in this significant tradition by preserving the meanings of the Qur’an within their hearts.
The Seeker’s Complete Qur’an Tafsir will be primarily based on :
‘Tafsir Abi al-Su’ud,” by Shaykh al Islam Abu al-Su’ud al ‘Imadi, and “Al-Tafsir al-Wasit,” by Shaykh al Azhar, Muhammad Sayyid Tanwati
- Teacher: Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat
The Seekers Complete Qur’an Tafsir will be primarily based on a classical and a contemporary work:
• ‘‘Tafsir Abi al-Su’ud,” by Shaykh al Islam Abu al-Su’ud al ‘Imadi, the great Ottoman Judge, Mufti, and Mufassir. This work is authoritative in the science of tafsir. It was built upon the greatest tasfirs that came before it and had an undeniably strong influence on those which came after it.
• “Al-Tafsir al-Wasit,” by Shaykh al Azhar, Muhammad Sayyid Tanwati, the Grand Mufti of Egypt. This tafsir was written over ten years and is based on some of the most influential works in this science, including the tafsirs of Tabari, Qurtubi, Ibn Kathir, and Alusi. It summarises many of the nuanced and detailed discussions found in other works.
- Understand the general theme of each sura.
- Identify the main hadiths related to each sura.
- Understand the broad verse-by-verse meanings of each sura.
- Implement the virtuous acts mentioned in each sura.
- Distinguish some linguistic nuance and theological points of a few suras.
- Understand the common misconceptions of some suras
- Describe the qualities of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give Him peace) and how they relate to the Qur’an.