This is a Level Three course in the Islamic Studies Curriculum.
This course is a traditional word-by-word exposition of Imam Bajuri’s commentary on Imam Sanusi's Umm al-Barahin (The Foundational Proofs), which covers the core beliefs of mainstream traditional Islam along with their key proofs.
Students will learn Islamic theology: the attributes of Allah Most High, those of His messengers (peace be upon them), matters of the unseen, and their logical proofs, culminating in how all of these meanings are contained in the Statement of Divine Oneness, there is no god but God.
The value of a subject is known by what is studied, and there is none greater than establishing and defending belief in Allah Most High and the points of knowledge to which He has granted eternal consequence.
Imam Bajuri’s commentary on Imam Sanusi’s Umm al-Barahin establishes not only what we believe in but also why it must be true with logical rigor. Additionally, students will learn how to unpack the terse expressions of classical texts, preparing them for further study in the Islamic sciences and in Islamic theology in particular.
- Teacher: Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
This text is a traditional word-by-word exposition of one of the most popular manuals in Islamic theology, Imam Bajuri’s (d. 1276 AH / 1860 CE) commentary on Imam Sanusi’s Umm al-Barahin.
Imam Sanusi’s primer focuses on the main proofs for the issues of belief in Allah Most High.
Imam Bajuri’s commentary, though brief, is deep, and precise. It unpacks the theological issue in the text with clarity and nuance. Most importantly, it breaks each of these proofs down and shows how those conclusions were reached.
Imam Bajuri writes in a method that forces the student to think and ask “why?” This course not only teaches the proofs of God Most High, but also the method a student of knowledge should embody in everything they engage with.
- This course is for adults.
- It is particularly beneficial for knowing the proofs of God Most High
- This is a Level Three course. In order to successfully complete this course, students should have taken any of the Level Two Islamic Beliefs courses at SeekersGuidance, or similar.
- This course is useful for anyone who wants to understand the rationale proofs related to our belief in Allah Most High; the method and nuances of the science of Islamic beliefs; and to appreciate the depth and nuance of the Islamic intellectual tradition, and learn to think and analyze issues as scholars do.
- Explain the logical proofs for the attributes of Allah Most High.
- Break down the proofs for the existence of Allah Most High step by step.
- Explain the attributes of His Messengers (peace be upon them) and their proofs
- Understand how all of these meanings are contained in the statement of Divine Oneness: there is no god but God
- Understand how to unpack the terse expressions of classical Islamic texts and works on theology.
- Cultivate a deep method in thinking required from a student of knowledge