This course is an introduction to understanding fasting and zakat, which are the third and fourth pillars of Islam. Young Muslims will be instructed on all the necessary matters pertaining to these incredibly important obligations which are of the greatest means in gaining closeness to Allah (The Exalted). This course will teach young Muslims the virtues, merits, conditions, and integrals of these pillars.
It will cover the essentials to perform the fast and pay zakat. The course will be presented in such a way that it will include the virtues of the actions and penetrate the deep spiritual dimensions of the acts. It will include, the types of fasts and what is a sound fast that is accepted and what is not.
The Zakat sections will cover the minimum amount of wealth before zakat is required (nisab) and who must pay zakat. A clear explanation will be given on how to calculate one’s zakat, whom to pay it to, who is exempt, and who may receive it. As young Muslims may be first-time learners of this subject, careful consideration has been given on how to present the material in an effective manner that engages the younger generation.
Recommended reading: Ascent to Felicity by shaykh Faraz Khan
- Teacher: Imam Yama Niazi
- Understand how to fast - the rules and prophetic practices.
- Understand and apply the principles of zakat
- Learn the common mistakes in fasting and zakat
- Learn key verses and narrations on the subject
- An introduction to understanding primary texts
- Learn and memorize key terms related to the subjects in jurisprudence (fiqh)