This course involves a detailed analysis of the life of our beloved Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him). It is taught at a General Level, allowing for easy comprehension of the material. This analysis involves explaining the events of the Prophetic biography, contextualizing the revelation of Quranic verses, and deriving practical lessons that students can apply in a modern context.
The course text, read in Arabic and explained in English, sufficiently equips general audiences and students of knowledge alike with a thorough grasp and firm foundation of the life of the Messenger of Allah.
Love of the beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is, like prayers, one of the primary goals of Islam. One’s faith is not perfected without loving the Prophet more than anything else in creation. By taking this course, the student will build familiarity and foster love in their heart for the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him).
The student will also gain a firm understanding of the aspects of the sira that may be unclear and confusing to some through the socio-political contextualization of the Prophet’s time. Completing this course will inoculate the student against falling prey to doubts about the life of the Prophet.
This course is based on many classical and contemporary authoritative sources, such as Dr. Samira Zayid, Dr. Akram Diya’ al ‘Umari, Imam Muhammad ibn Yusuf al Salihi, Dr Muhammad Sa’id al Buti, and other Prophetic biography and hadith works.
- Teacher: Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat
Al-Mukhtasar fi al-Jami al-Sira al-Nabawiyya: A Compendium of the Sources on the Prophetic Narrative. This text is an abridgment of Dr. Samira al-Zayid’s six-volume compendium of all the narrations of the incidents that occurred in the Prophet’s life (peace and blessings be upon him). This text allows for a primary source-driven approach to the Prophetic biography, providing the student with a contextual understanding of the incidents with authenticated sources. Students will have the confidence that everything taught in the class is authentic and, as a result, will have many misconceptions about the life of the Prophet dispelled.
- This course is suitable for all ages
- It is particularly beneficial for students of sacred knowledge
- It is a General-Level course. There are no prerequisites for it.
- This course can also be taken by anyone who is interested in learning more about the life of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) or the context of the Quran.
- Thoroughly understand the high-level details of the Prophetic biography.
- Distinguish important details that clarify areas of misconception in the biography.
- Critically analyze and dispel contemporary criticism regarding the events in the Prophet’s (peace and blessings be upon him) life.
- Understand the context in which the verses of the Quran were revealed.
- Apply the lessons from the Prophet's life to their own life.
- Increase in a deeply rooted love of the Messenger of Allah.