L10 Things necessarily known to be of religion

L10 Things necessarily known to be of religion

by Anna Gehrmann -
Number of replies: 1

As salamu aleykum, 
I have a question regarding a sensitive issue in aqida, also I am a bit confused about it.
So on the one hand we as Muslims do not affirm something that is contradicting clearly established points of belief (such as affirming the validity of any other religion besides Islam), which is required for the soundness and validity of our belief. On the other hand we know that things necessarily known to be of religion must be affirmed, if they are negated or denied it puts one outside the fold of Islam. 
Now what about a Muslim who clearly negates something to be necessarily known to be of religion. We would not affirm this to be sound belief, on the contrary we would affirm that this is putting somebody outside the fold of Islam. 
My question at this point is, in order to have a sound valid belief myself, what do I have to affirm in my heart about such a person? That they are Muslim, or that they are non-Muslim, because they are clearly negating a central point of belief? If I believe they are Muslim, does that endanger the validitiy of my belief?
My question does not concern the verbal excommunication of people who understand themselves as being Muslim (takfir), rather I am only concerned with what I personally have to believe and affirm about that person in order to have a valid belief and not affirm absurdities myself (such as that one can be Muslim but not believe in the hereafter or something similar). 
I would like to understand that issue, because where I live, we have an active Muslim sect with a specific set of beliefs that clearly negate things necessarily known to be of religion and within my circles this topic comes up over and over again and people are discussing it. 

Jazak Allahu khairan

In reply to Anna Gehrmann

Re: L10 Things necessarily known to be of religion

by Mawlana Irshaad Sedick -
Wa alaykum as-salam

In matters of aqida, it is essential to uphold established beliefs while avoiding takfir (verbal excommunication). If a person clearly denies something necessarily known to be of religion, it is not for an individual to declare their faith invalid (takfir). Rather, one should maintain the balance of affirming sound belief for oneself without declaring others outside the fold of Islam. It is not within your scope to pass judgment on their faith status. Focus on safeguarding your own belief by affirming established tenets, while leaving the determination of others' faith to Allah. This approach preserves the validity of your belief without engaging in the potentially divisive act of takfir.

And Allah knows best.