Lesson 2: Legal rulings

Lesson 2: Legal rulings

by iram - -
Number of replies: 3

Salam alaykum,

I have a question regarding the wording in a legal ruling. In lesson two when we discuss line 11 - 12 in the poem, the author says it is legally necessary to know Allah.

What does necessary mean in the context of a legal ruling? Because I suspect it is not the same "necessary" as in a rational ruling which we remember being something that does not admit negation. Is it more akin to the necessary one finds in worship? For example, witr in the Hanafi school is necessary?

Furthermore, Shaykh Rabbani writes in the corresponding powerpoint slide that "the obligation to believe is legal (shar`i) -- not rational"

what is meant by obligation here, is it meant as in obligatory (fardh)? Because that would conflict with the statement that it is necessary to believe?

Jazak Allahu Khayran

In reply to iram -

Re: Lesson 2: Legal rulings

by Mawlana Irshaad Sedick -
Wa alaykum as-salam

It means compulsory/wajib/fard, and not rationally necessary:

It is religiously obligatory for the Mukalaf to know Allah ﷻ. In other words, Allah ﷻ has obligated every Mukalaf to know a few things about Himself.

The Mukalaf is the one who will be held accountable in the hereafter for his choices in this life.
In reply to Mawlana Irshaad Sedick

Re: Lesson 2: Legal rulings

by iram - -
So if I understand you correctly, necessary in a legal ruling can be either wajib or fard?

JazakAllah Khayran Shaykh,