Instructor: Shaykh Yusuf Weltch
This is a Level Two course in the Islamic Studies Curriculum. It serves to provide a proper understanding of the Islamic rulings of worship.
In this course, Shaykh Yusuf Weltch covers the chapters on worship from Imam Quduri’s Mukhtasar. He relies on the great classical commentaries—including Maydani’s Lubab—and major reference works of the Hanafi
Topics covered include ablution (wudu), the ritual bath (ghusl), prayer, fasting, zakat, Hajj, and other related issues.
The diligent student will take from this class the knowledge required to make their worship sound and correct, guidance on difficult issues, and how to beautify one’s relationship with Allah Most High. A previous study is recommended but not required.
About the Text
Imam Quduri’s full primer (matn) in Islamic law is so famous that it is simply referred to as “The Book” (al-Kitab).
Quduri’s Mukhtasar is one of the four core primers (mutun) of the Hanafi school. For over a thousand years, it has been the starting point of a full study of Hanafi fiqh. This is because of the text’s reliability in transmitting the Hanafi school, its clarity; its comprehensiveness in dealing with the core issues of each chapter, and its proven blessedness (baraka).
About the Author
Imam Abu al-Husayn Ahmad ibn Muhammad al-Quduri (362-428 AH) was born in Baghdad. He was of the foremost scholars of the Hanafi school and played a pivotal role in the transmission of Hanafi fiqh.
His work Mukhtasar al-Quduri is the first of the four main primers (mutun) of the school. Another of his important works was al-Tajrid, a comprehensive, 10-volume work in legal reasoning and comparative fiqh.
He was also a noted scholar of hadith, and the great hadith master, Khatib al-Baghdadi took hadith from him.
Imam Quduri was also noted for his deep piety and devotion, his renunciation (zuhd), and his good character. These are keys for Allah blessing one’s efforts, as the lasting impact of Imam Quduri’s scholarship shows.
Who is this course for?
• This course is for teenagers and adults.
• It is particularly beneficial for students of Islamic law.
• It is a Level Two course. Students are encouraged to have completed Level One of the Islamic Studies Curriculum first—or at least the Level One fiqh courses.
• This course can also be taken by anyone interested in learning more about the rulings of purification, prayer, fasting, zakat, and Hajj.
• Understand the core rulings related to worship in the Hanafi school.
• Appreciate the wisdom and purpose of these legal rulings.
• Develop a basic understanding of legal reasoning.
• Understand the practical implementation of Divine Guidance concerning worship.
Lesson 1: Introduction
Lesson 2: Ablution (wudu) & The Ritual Bath (ghusl)
Lesson 3: Water, Wells, & Tanning
Lesson 4: Dry-Ablution (tayammum)
Lesson 5: Wiping over Footwear (khuffs) & Bandages (jaba’ir)
Lesson 6: Menstruation (hayd) & Lochia (nifas)
Lesson 7: Filth/Impurities & Conclusion
Lesson 8: Times, Adhan, & Introduction to Prayer
Lesson 9: Prayer Contd.
Lesson 10: Actions Invalidating the Prayer & Make-Ups
Lesson 11: Disliked Prayer Times & Supererogatory Prayers
Lesson 12: Make-up Prayers, Sunnas, and the Forgetfulness Prostration
Lesson 13: Friday & Eid Prayer
Lesson 14: Circumstantial Prayers and Funerals
Lesson 15: Martyrs, Praying in the Kaaba, and Introduction to Zakat
Lesson 16: Introduction to Zakat
Lesson 17: Zakat
Lesson 18: Sadaqa al-Fitr and The Book of Fasting
Lesson 19: Fasting
Lesson 20: The Realities of Hajj
Lesson 21: The Actions of Hajj
Lesson 22: The Types of Hajj
About The Instructor:
Shaykh Yusuf Weltch is a teacher of Arabic, Islamic law, and spirituality. After accepting Islam in 2008, he then completed four years at the Darul Uloom seminary in New York where he studied Arabic and the traditional sciences. He then traveled to Tarim, Yemen, where he stayed for three years studying in Dar Al-Mustafa under some of the greatest scholars of our time, including Habib Umar Bin Hafiz, Habib Kadhim al-Saqqaf, and Shaykh Umar al-Khatib. In Tarim, Shaykh Yusuf completed the memorization of the Qur’an and studied inheritance law, legal methodology, hadith methodology, Qur’anic exegesis, Islamic history, and a number of texts on spirituality. He joined the SeekersGuidance faculty in the summer of 2019.
|Number of Lessons:||22 Lessons|
|Total Duration:||29hrs 53 mins|
- Teacher: Shaykh Yusuf Weltch
- Distinguish between true religious knowledge that is beneficial and ostensibly religious knowledge that is not
- Identify instances of the sins of the limbs (particularly those of the tongue)
- Identify instances of the sins of the heart
- Complete a regimen of protecting your tongue from sin
- Improve your character with your teachers, relatives, friends, and strangers
- Appreciate the spiritual value of good company