Shaykh Yusuf Weltch is a teacher of Arabic, Islamic law, and spirituality. After accepting Islam in 2008, he then completed four years at the Darul Uloom seminary in New York where he studied Arabic and the traditional sciences. He then travelled to Tarim, Yemen, where he stayed for three years studying in Dar Al-Mustafa under some of the greatest scholars of our time, including Habib Umar Bin Hafiz, Habib Kadhim al-Saqqaf, and Shaykh Umar al-Khatib. In Tarim, Shaykh Yusuf completed the memorization of the Qur’an and studied inheritance law, legal methodology, hadith methodology, Qur’anic exegesis, Islamic history, and a number of texts on spirituality. He joined the SeekersGuidance faculty in the summer of 2019.
This is a Level Two course in the Islamic Studies Curriculum. It serves to provide a proper understanding of the Islamic rulings of worship.
In this course, Shaykh Yusuf Weltch covers the chapters on worship from Imam Quduri’s Mukhtasar. He relies on the great classical commentaries—including Maydani’s Lubab—and major reference works of the Hanafi
Topics covered include ablution (wudu), the ritual bath (ghusl), prayer, fasting, zakat, Hajj, and other related issues.
The diligent student will take from this class the knowledge required to make their worship sound and correct, guidance on difficult issues, and how to beautify one’s relationship with Allah Most High. A previous study is recommended but not required.
- Teacher: Shaykh Yusuf Weltch
Imam Quduri’s full primer (matn) in Islamic law is so famous that it is simply referred to as “The Book” (al-Kitab).
Quduri’s Mukhtasar is one of the four core primers (mutun) of the Hanafi school. For over a thousand years, it has been the starting point of a full study of Hanafi fiqh. This is because of the text’s reliability in transmitting the Hanafi school, its clarity; its comprehensiveness in dealing with the core issues of each chapter, and its proven blessedness (baraka).
- This course is for teenagers and adults.
- It is particularly beneficial for students of Islamic law.
- It is a Level Two course. Students are encouraged to have completed Level One of the Islamic Studies Curriculum first—or at least the Level One fiqh courses.
- This course can also be taken by anyone interested in learning more about the rulings of purification, prayer, fasting, zakat, and Hajj.
- Understand the core rulings related to worship in the Hanafi school.
- Appreciate the wisdom and purpose of these legal rulings.
- Develop a basic understanding of legal reasoning.
- Understand the practical implementation of Divine Guidance concerning worship.