The Art of Logic is a necessary tool for any serious study of the traditional sciences. A correct understanding of the embedded reasoning and argumentations within works of Theology and Fiqh without a solid grasp of Logic is virtually impossible. Without the Art of Logic readers of traditional texts and students of traditional sciences cannot trust their understanding of what they study and read. This course provides students of knowledge with all the necessary concepts and rules of Logic that are necessary for their studies. It covers all the essential topics of Formal Logic as summarized by one of the most prominent Philosophers and Logicians in the Islamic Tradition, Imam Athir al-Din al-Abhari.
- Teacher: Shaykh Ahmed El Azhary
Isaghuji by Imam Athir al-Din al-Abhari (d. 663 A.H. / 1265 C.E.) is the most popular foundational logic primer in traditional Islamic schools (madrasas). It provides students with the necessary basic principles and introduces them to the key terminologies and methodologies of Logic. Isaghuji continued to attract teachers and students since it was written until today. It received a wide and favorable reception from scholars and elicited numerous commentaries and super-commentaries, perhaps more than any other Logic primer in the Islamci tradition.
- This course is specifically aimed towards students of Sacred Sciences, and more broadly towards students, teachers and educators of other fields of knowledge.
- This is a Level Two course, but beginners are also welcome.
- This course can also be taken by anyone who is interested in reasoning and argumentation, thinking skills, deep-reading and communications of ideas.
- distinguish concepts and claims.
- analyze forms of reasoning and deduction.
- analyze definitions and descriptions of concepts.
- analyze proofs for claims and arguments.
- classify proofs and argumentations.
- differentiate between validity and soundness of arguments.