My relationship with controversial ayat and hadith

My relationship with controversial ayat and hadith

by Abdullah U. -
Number of replies: 4

Salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

My question concerns hadith 8, but it is also a general question.

Recently I concernced myself with human rights. I found it troublesome that human rights seem to contradict with a traditional understanding of Islam. I thought a lot about how I could resolve this issue. I came up with a solution on which I would like to hear your precious opinion.

I believe that the Quran and hadith should be interpreted the following way: Mercy is the highest command and everything needs to be in accordance with mercy. There is a hierarchy of the commandments of Allah. Mercy is the top commandment and every other command is below the commandment of mercy. Whenever possible, one should choose the most merciful solution.

I don't see why hadith 8 is a mercy. That's why I just ignore the hadith.

I don't see any harm in homosexuality and it would be a mercy for homosexuals if homosexuality would be permissible. Therefore, I think homosexuality is permissible because the prohibition of homosexuality can be ignored because it conflicts with mercy.

It would be the most merciful way to give men and women equal rights according to my opinion. I ignore all hadith on the relationships of men and women and I just propose equal rights for men and women because it is the most merciful solution.

Is my method permissible? I think that mercy is in the will of Allah. If I seek the most merciful solution, Allah can't have somethin against it. Am I right?

Thank you very much!

Salam

In reply to Abdullah U.

Re: My relationship with controversial ayat and hadith

by Sajid Dadabhoy -
As-salaamu alaikum my dear brother Abdullah I pray that you are in the best of health and Iman.
Please consider the following story:

A man was strolling along when he came upon two other men, one of whom was cutting the leg off the other. Upon seeing this he was amazed and troubled, how could a man commit such a heinous and unmerciful act. In actuality the man doing the cutting was a doctor, and in order to save the life of the other man who had contracted an infection on his leg, was conducting this amputation. So, rather than being a cruel and unmerciful act, this was an act of utmost mercy.

Thus Allah, may he be Praised and Exalted, has commanded human beings to certain limits. Their wisdom may or may not be discernible to our limited intellects. Furthermore they must be taken within the context of a hearafter. The life of this world is one of a test. As such some commands may go against our desires and whims and also our intellects. This life is infinitely short compared to the everlasting abode to come. Our duty is to hear and obey even if it might prove to be difficult, whether upon our nafs or intellect.
Islam is submission to Allah, for He knows what is best for us, in this world and the hearafter. Lest we become like the accursed Iblees, who, when commanded to bow down to Adam(upon whom be peace), refused to do so arrogantly saying:"I am better than him. You created me from fire and him from dirt." Thus the problem lay not with the ayaat of the Quran or particular Hadith, but rather with our limited understanding. May Allah grant us all guidance, forgiveness, and mercy and enter us into Paradise and save us from the Fire. Ameen!

Was-salaam. Your brother Sajid.
In reply to Sajid Dadabhoy

by Abdullah U. -
Dear brother Sajid

Thank you for your words. However I don't agree with you. In my opinion you seem to justify a literal reading of the Quran and hadith. This isn't my approach. I follow an understanding of Islam that highlights the spirit of the law which is mercy. I follow strictly the hadith: "Leave that which makes you doubt for that which does not make you doubt.” Everything that goes against my feeling of what is merciful makes me doubt. Everything that is in line with mercy gives me certainty. When I reject certain hadith it increases my faith and it draws me closer to Allah, because I am sure that I am doing the right thing. I am sure that Allah loves mercy and that he loves an understanding of Islam that puts an emphasis on mercy.
In reply to Abdullah U.

by Abdullah U. -
Dear teacher

If you read this, I want you to know that you don't have to answer this question anymore. I am leaving seekersguidance. I appreciate your efforts, but I think that seekersguidance isn't the right place for me to study Islam. I came to this conclusion because I want to study Islam from somewhere where the emphasis is put on mercy. I think that seekersguidance is lacking this. I took this decision because I consulted my heart. My reason and my consciousness tells me that seekersguidance isn't the right place to study Islam. Thank you again for everything that I learned here and good bye. You don't need to answer this post because I won't read it.

Salamu alaykum
In reply to Abdullah U.

by Shaykh Yusuf Weltch -
Asalamu Alaikum Brother Sajid

Apologies for the late reply and I hope this message still reaches you.

Regarding your question. Allah Most High tells us that the Prophet (may Allah bless him and give him peace) was sent as a Mercy to the Worlds. Likewise, Allah Most High tells us that He is the Most Merciful . Hadith number 8 must be understood in context.

The punishments for fornication are in essence a mercy to society. When the actions of some individuals affect and can possible corrupt a community or a society those actions are addressed, sometimes in forms of punishment, this does not mean that they are bereft or contradictory to mercy. As it is a mercy for the whole although at the expense of a few.

If a child were to reach for a hot stove, allowing them to do so because one doesn't want to be un-merciful or mean to them is in essence the pinnacle of evil and un-mercy. Likewise the punishments mentioned in this Hadith.

Note however that the punishment of the apostate must be understood in context. First and foremost the scholars are in agreement that this ruling is not applied in todays context. Secondly, in the time of the Prophet (may Allah bless him and give him peace) every adult male was potentially or actually a part of the Muslim army. All adult males were called to go out for the Battle of Tabuk for this reason. With that being said, if any adult male Muslim were to leave Islam, due to their knowledge of the inner-workings of the Muslim army are in one way a type of traitor - as they would most certainly leak the private doings of the army to the opposition.

This was the context of that time and does not apply today.

Note, the verses of the Qur'an and the Hadith of the Prophet (may Allah bless him and give him peace) must be understood with an overriding understanding of Mercy. However, without looking at the bigger picture one may become blinded from the mercy that is in fact manifest even within the punishment and justice of Islam .

I would strongly recommend that you continue seeking Islamic knowledge especially a deep look into the Prophet Biography with a qualified scholar. The Prophet is a Prophet of Mercy yet He still carried a sword for the sake of Allah when needed and in no way, shape, or form did He cease to be the Prophet of mercy even then.

May Allah guide us and you to truly understand the Religion of Islam the way Allah intended it
Hope this helps
Allah bless you