Having caution with bread

Having caution with bread

by Bilal Ahmed -
Number of replies: 2

Asalamu alaikum. In the lesson about leaving that which makes you doubt Sheikh Faraz said there were some cases when exercising caution would not be required and gave the example of bread offered by a non-Muslim neighbour (since it is not likely to contain anything haram). I mentioned this to some people and a brother sent me the following message:  

‘Just to clarify regarding bread. The commercially available bread (in supermarkets etc.) contains many ingredients such emulsifies, additives etc. In 1970 and 1980 all bread available in UK supermarkets had pig fat. This has now been replaced by vegetable fat. However in Europe where pork is very common, the bread may contain pork fat. In addition some bread contain L-Cysteine which can be derived from human hair. 

In future companies will be using protein derived from insects to add to flour, which could be in bread and related products. Therefore one should be not take for granted that bread is always Halal.’

Please let me know your thoughts.

In reply to Bilal Ahmed

Re: Having caution with bread

by Shaykh Yusuf Weltch -
Wa alaikum salaam

Jazak Allah Khairan for your input on this issue. Your views coincide with some great scholars of Islam who take a very cautionary approach. However, there are more relaxed opinions with regards to additives and incidental ingredients, some of which are held by very esteemed scholars of Islam, as well. Caution is recommended and encouraged.

Allah bless you
In reply to Shaykh Yusuf Weltch

Re: Having caution with bread

by Bilal Ahmed -
JazakAllah khair Sheikh. Is there something you can recommend reading or listening to regarding additives and incidental ingredients?