Term Refresh

Term Refresh

by Mawlana Irshaad Sedick -
Number of replies: 3

As-salamu ‘alaykum wa rahmatuLlahi wa barakatuh 

I hope and pray that you had a spiritually uplifting Ramadan and a beautiful day of Eid.

I am pleased to inform you that we are back for the new term at SeekersGuidance, alhamdulillah.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments that you would like us to consider for the term ahead, please feel free to post them here.

بارك الله فيكم 

In reply to Mawlana Irshaad Sedick

Re: Term Refresh

by Aziret Asanov -
Assalamu alaikum. I hope this message finds you in the best of health.

Since this course is in "Essentials Of Islam - Hanafi", I am wondering why we cover an Ash'ari text, Kharida Al-Bahiyya, while the usual school followed by Hanafis is Maturidi. Is it the case that Kharida Al-Bahiyya covers the methodology and belief points, about which there is no difference of opinion between the Ash'ari and Maturidi schools?

As it is a foundational text, would I encounter difficulties when building on that foundation by studying further Maturidi texts? If the answer is yes, would you suggest that I go through the Bad' Al-Amali module, which has only 7 lessons available on SeekersGuidance platform and 11 lessons from probably older lectures on youtube?

Thank you for your time.
In reply to Aziret Asanov

by Mawlana Irshaad Sedick -
Wa Alaikum Assalam,

I hope this message finds you in good spirits and health.

Your inquiry regarding the incorporation of "Kharida Al-Bahiyya," an Ash‘ari text, into a course focused on the essentials of Islam from a Hanafi perspective, is indeed thoughtful and showcases your eagerness to attain clarity in your Islamic studies.

It's important to understand that the Hanafi school of jurisprudence and the Ash‘ari school of theology, although distinct in their origins and areas of focus, share a profound common ground in their commitment to the principles of Ahl al-Sunnah wa'l-Jama'ah. Both the Ash‘ari and Maturidi schools of thought represent the theological backbone of Sunni Islam and have more similarities than differences, especially when it comes to the essentials of creed.

The "Kharida Al-Bahiyya" is indeed an Ash‘ari text, but it is selected for study in this context because it addresses foundational aspects of Islamic belief that are unanimously agreed upon by both Ash‘ari and Maturidi scholars. These foundational beliefs include the existence and oneness of Allah, the prophethood of Muhammad (PBUH), the day of judgment, divine predestination, and other core tenets of faith. The nuanced differences between Ash‘ari and Maturidi thought primarily emerge in complex theological discussions which are beyond the scope of an "Essentials of Islam" course.

Hence, at this basic level of understanding the essentials of Islam, the author being an Ash‘ari should not pose any difficulty. The focus is on instilling a robust foundation of Islamic belief that is common to both theological schools. This foundational knowledge will not hinder your ability to build upon it with further Maturidi texts. In fact, it is likely to enhance your appreciation of the depth and breadth of Islamic theology.

Regarding your question about studying further Maturidi texts and whether to pursue the "Bad' Al-Amali" module, it is beneficial to continue broadening your understanding of Islamic theology through various resources. The "Bad' Al-Amali" module, despite having fewer lessons available, could offer valuable insights into Maturidi thought. Whether through SeekersGuidance or other platforms, exposure to a diverse range of scholarly works will enrich your understanding and appreciation of the Islamic tradition.

Always remember that the journey of Islamic learning is vast and enriching. It is filled with opportunities to understand the depth of our faith from various perspectives. The key is to approach it with an open heart and a keen mind, seeking the guidance of Allah at every step.

May Allah grant you success in your studies and make this journey a means of drawing closer to Him.

Thank you for reaching out with your thoughtful questions.
In reply to Mawlana Irshaad Sedick

by Aziret Asanov -
Ustadh, thank you for your answer. It made a lot of things clearer.