Re: proofs of the intellect

by Unknown Theist -
Number of replies: 5

As-Salāmu Alaykum 

Thanks very much, Shaykh, for your response to my query. I have a further question. The majority of proofs utilised by the متكلمين are Qurān based. I really like these and this is why I ask, is it fine according to the early Muslims to use the Qurān as a basis for the proofs? To illustrate what I mean, are these permitted according to the early Muslims: 

1) Sh Karamali's inference of the contingency argument from 2:164 in the podcast Sh Faraz recommended, 'Why Islam is true'

2) What Ibn Juzayy has written in النور المبين, a work Sh Faraz recommended 

1. 3) From the commentary of أمام الدردير on the الخريدة (pictures at the bottom)

I have heard that Imam ibn al Musayyib remained silent as if he could not hear when asked regarding Tafsīr of a verse and ibn Kathir has some quotes of السلف at the beginning of his Tafsīr. Does this mean that this type of inference is blameworthy according to them? I have heard this is a type of reflection, is this so? The Qurān does tell us to reflect on it after all and there is a Hadith in Ibn Hibban that condemns those who do not ponder on a certain verse and I think there are more hadiths in كتاب العظمة by Abu ash-Shaykh.  

Jazāk Allah, so much respected Shaykh. May Allah تعالى bless you abundantly and cause you to benefit multitudes more of people!

In reply to Unknown Theist

by Mawlana Irshaad Sedick -
Wa alaykum as- Salam wa rahmatuLlahi wa barakatuh

Using the Qur’an as a basis for any aspect of Islam is a fundamental pillar in traditional Islam from the earliest Muslims till the contemporary erudite scholars. Please refer to Tafsir Ayat Al-Aqida by Abd Al-Aziz Haji and you will find copious references from the Salaf and Khalaf for exactly your interest. In sha Allah.

Irshaad Sedick
In reply to Mawlana Irshaad Sedick

by Unknown Theist -
Jazāk Allah Khayr Shaykh.

I attempted to locate this work but was unable. Please could you supply a link. Thanks so much.
In reply to Unknown Theist

by Mawlana Irshaad Sedick -
It's a pleasure. May Allah bless you.

Unfortunately, the text is not available online in PDF.

بارك الله فيكم
In reply to Mawlana Irshaad Sedick

by Unknown Theist -
No problem, Shaykh. Could you please show me where to buy the book? I'll try to purchase it. Thanks for drawing my attention to this book. May Allah bless you.